Afrikaans | English << back <<    
 
 

Collins Cottage used to be an outbuilding of the nearby Grosvernor House. William Collins of Bath in England purchased the property in 1876, and it stayed in the possession of his widow, Margaret Collins, until 1941. The Collins family named the building Grosvenor House and converted it into a guesthouse. In approximately 1896 more boarding room was created when the outbuilding was extended. The Stellenbosch Museum came into being on 23 March 1962 with Grosvenor House as the first official Museum building. During 1965 the outbuilding (Collins Cottage) was divided in two sections. The western section was fitted out as a residence for the curator of the Stellenbosch Museum, while the eastern part was fitted out as a gallery. As present Collin’s Cottage is rented out in its entirety.

 
 
 
   
   
who are we?  our purpose  our properties  the trustees  contact us design • www.gstudio.co.za